Bodhi follow up their single in the recent Push & Run compilation with a slick 12″, ‘Emanation’/'SY.’ Joining Ifan Dafydd and Pedestrian as the labels full releasees, Bodhi look a very promising talent. Read our recent chat with Luke and Olly here.
- Hi. Can you guys first please introduce yourselves to our readers.
We are Luke and Olly from Cardiff, South Wales
- How would you describe the music you make as Bodhi?
Grooving bass music
- Do you both have solo projects?
- How have your musical tastes progressed over the years, and which albums, or even tracks have been important along the way?
LUKE: I first started listening to a lot of Motown and Funk from an early age. Artists such as Earth, Wind & Fire, The Commodores and Jamiroquai had a heavy influence due to my parents tastes growing up. I had a few stints playing the drums and guitar in a few heavy technical metal bands and also listened to a lot of IDM throughout my college years with Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and FSOL doing the rounds on my mp3 player. I only really opened up to the variety of underground music when I left college and started going to different nights in Cardiff…. particularly those held at a great venue (now no longer!) called Cardiff Arts Institute.
OLLY: Growing up I had a mix of blues from my dad (B.B King/Eric Clapton) and 90s RnB from my sister, which I still enjoy today. I played in a couple of bands growing up but I remember when I first heard Original Pirate Material by The Streets, my love for electronic beats and music opened up and encouraged me to explore what I had been missing all these years. Going out to nights in Cardiff regularly with Luke has definitely influenced what we do now.
- You’re music isn’t particularly dancefloor focused. What kind of stuff do you play when DJing?
Yes, well I can say that we have some real dancefloor shaped tunes in the making which will be coming out pretty soon (So keep an eye open!). Our main feel really is just playing out house… anything with a funky uplifting vibe.
- Why is Push & Run the right label for your forthcoming release? Can you tell us a bit about the tracks themselves.
They have been great so far and like to work very closely on the finer details which suits us well. As for the tracks, we just wanted to write something that had a strong summer vibe. I would say ‘Emanation’ is slightly more laid back with the floaty vocals and ‘SY’ being more up front and to the point but both retain a feel good summer feel.
- Which other labels and artists are you feeling right now?
Aus are killing it. Loving Bicep, Floating Points, George FitzGerald, Girl Unit, Disclosure, Midland
- Best release this year?
Boddika/Joy O – Dun Dun….. makes me feel warm and fuzzy every time.
- Finally, please complete the following sentence: Get Some…
Bodhi’s ‘Emanation’/'Sy’ is out on Push & Run on September 3.